Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 02:25:18 +1000
From:      Andrew <mynet@uq.net.au>
To:        Travis Stevenson <tstevenson@lcsd2.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recommended Multiport Card

I have used stallion cards before and found them to be very good
http://www.stallion.com

However I wouldn't recommend using a multiport serial card these days.
Instead you
are MUCH better off with a digital terminal server . That way clients
can dial in at 56K
( or close to it ). Not only is the speed better but also clients get
better ping times and less
dropouts due to you having a digital connection to the exchange . Also
it is MUCH less
headache for the administrator as you don't have lots of modems and
analogue lines to
deal with.

Livingston ( now owned by Lucent ) have some great terminal servers for
a reasonable
cost. There are many other brands that are good such as Ascend , Bay
networks ,
ACC , Cisco , USRobotics/3Comm and others.

The cost may be more at first but in the long term it is a  much better
solution.

Andrew