Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:36:47 -0800
From:      Bill Sanborn <wsanborn@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Interesting network situation. Owners of Linksys hubs may want to read

    I have 3.4 installed on a P-233 HX chipset server with a 3com 905b.
I've also installed Samba 2.0.6 as a package (not compiled). The Windows
workstation I've used to test performance is a P-2 400, BX, running OSR
2.1, with another 3com 905b. In order to get the the two talking to each
other I have a Linksys 5-port 10/100 hub.

    After tweaking the smb.conf file a bit, I've found that the maximum
performance is about 300K/sec. Now the interesting bit; Using a
crossover cable between the server and the workstation, I've achieved
performance as high as 3000K/sec. The same result is true if ftp is
being used to transfer files, rather than Samba. What really throws me
is that a Windows-to-Windows copy will be around 2500K/sec (using the
hub).

    What would be specific to FreeBSD that would cause the hub to go
ick? The MTU is set to 1500 on both stations, and only TCP/IP is running
on the OSR2 PC. The hub also verifies that both PCs have negotiated
100Mb connections. I've forced the xl0 device to a 100baseTX connection,
so I don't think it is autonegotiating itself to death. Another oddity
is that when I'm transferring files from FBSD to the Windows station,
using the hub, the collision light goes berserk. This seems like cruddy
firmware to me.

    If anyone has any ideas I would be really interested in reading
them.