Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2006 21:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org>, Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Subject:   Re: which xorg file??

--- Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:18:32PM +1000, Norberto
> Meijome wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:52:54 -0700
> > Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org> wrote:
> >
> > > 	Which ports file do I build to fill the
> standard
> > > 	/usr/X11R6/bin file?
> >
> > not sure I follow your question...
> > the xorg-server and xorg-clients ports will your
> basic standard X files and apps
> >
> > xorg.conf doesn't sit in /usr/X11R6/bin, but
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf
>
> 	It is in my /etc/X11 directory.
>

> > the configuration apps to generate xorg.conf are
> xorgcfg and xorgconfig (one X
> > based, the other text based)
>

> 	Yeah, but there is a way using X -conf[ig].  I've
> forgotten the exact
> 	details; but I have used both f the above
> configuration tools
> 	before.

I believe its X -configure
I've been reading through the complete freebsd in my
"reading room" but admittadly it takes me a couple of
stabs to get it right on a new system.

> > [betom@ayiin] [Mon Sep 18 12:17:46 2006]
> > /usr/home/betom
> > $ locate xorgcfg
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/xorgcfg
> > /usr/X11R6/man/man1/xorgcfg.1.gz
> >
> > [betom@ayiin] [Mon Sep 18 12:17:50 2006]
> > /usr/home/betom
> > $ locate xorgconfig
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/xorgconfig
> > /usr/X11R6/man/man1/xorgconfig.1.gz
> >
> > If that's not what you need...let us know :)
>

> 	I'm still looking for xdm; possibly startx too.
> I'm making the
> 	wm switch from ctwm to gone-lite ...  but first,
> the basics
> 	have to be there.
>
> 	gary
>

> --
>    Gary Kline     kline@thought.org
> www.thought.org     Public service Unix

the only way I know to populate /usr/X11R6/bin is by
cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make && make install && make
clean

this will install the clients, libraries, documents,
fonts, and basic X11R6 system. it will also clean up
after itself.

Keep in mind NOT ALL X11 apps will be installed in
that directory. a good number of the clients end up in
/usr/bin or /usr/local/bin

depending on if it uses qmake, gmake, make, imake
different things can happen, and not much can be done
about it. some of those makes just ignore the PREFIX
directive.

-brian