Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 1996 19:00:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   query wrt c-kermit-5a-190 port

I have a query with regards to the above port, as part of the 2.1 ports
collection.

In the last set of patches in patchfile patch-aa distributed on the 2.1
CD-ROM from Walnut Creek, to function priv_opn, the calls to priv_on()
and priv_off() are disabled for FreeBSD.  The patches concerned are to
lines 8069-8077 of ckutio.c.

With these two calls disabled as per the distributed patches, attempting
to SET LINE to /dev/cuaa* from kermit as built from the ports facility
results in "access denied", which is baffling as the kermit binary as
installed is setgid to dialer, matching the devices.

On a hunch, I backed out these particular patches, and kermit now behaves
as expected, without the "access denied" message.  I have tried both
telnet and dial-out modem (/dev/cuaa*) connects with the resulting binary
without apparent ill-effect, albeit on a limited basis.

Is there any record of the reason for these particular modifications, or
any known side effects of operating without them?

TIA

PS.  To all concerned with the ports collection, notwithstanding this
minor puzzle, thanks heaps for your efforts!

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia