Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:59:53 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Javad Kouhi <javad.kouhi@gmail.com>
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>, Michiel Boland <boland37@xs4all.nl>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: system sporadically hangs on shutdown after switching to WITH_NEW_XORG
References:  <51BDD593.5000102@xs4all.nl> <51BF60A8.6000503@xs4all.nl> <20130617193726.GR91021@kib.kiev.ua> <CA%2Bg814fgxmkCjVNrqoTiE0AEQwGr5gystCUiMzDLCtZ3aTtk%2BQ@mail.gmail.com> <51C06AD2.5030404@xs4all.nl> <CA%2Bg814dFmC1j4Czitn-VN9z3S29qBaMW47dOBOvbsaAxPvnWpg@mail.gmail.com> <20130618144722.GA3446@icarus.home.lan> <CA%2Bg814fXiGZh%2Bh89DVdY_Rv_r9O3joTKDiwaZi5CK1qjJ556rg@mail.gmail.com> <20130618182538.GA3380@icarus.home.lan> <CA%2Bg814fShMAiVUXuu1Zqn4M9BXrXoa%2BHCWUPmxBKx-GTgyyhxg@mail.gmail.com> <20130618212818.GA58803@icarus.home.lan> <op.wyyxkpeqmbtpl2@localhost>

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Javad Kouhi <javad.kouhi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 01:58:18 +0430, Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
> wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 01:41:10AM +0430, Javad Kouhi wrote:
>>
>>> I've read the posts again. Although the issue looks same as Michiel
>>> Boland (first link) but I'm not sure if the root of the issue is same
>>> as Michiel's too (second link). Anyway, it should be discussed in
>>> another thread as you said.
>>>

>> Let me be more clear:
>>
>> I have seen repeated reports from people complaining about "lockups when
>> shutting down" many times over the years.  The ones I remember:
>>
>> - Certain oddities with SCSI/SATA storage drivers and disks (many of
>>   these have been fixed)
>> - ACPI-based reboot not working correctly on some motherboards
>>   (depends on hw.acpi.handle_reboot and sometimes
>>   hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot) -- not sure if this still pops up
>> - USB layer causing issues, or possibly some USB CAM integration
>>   problem (this is still an ongoing one)
>> - Now some sort of weird Intel graphics driver (and DRM?) quirk
>>   involving moused(8) and Vsync (the issue reported by Michiel)
>>
>> And I'm certain I'm forgetting others.
>>
>> What Kevin Oberman said also applies -- these are painful to debug
>> because the system is already in a "shutting down" state where usability
>> and accessibility becomes bare minimal, and you're kind of at your
>> wits end.
>>
>> Booting verbose can help -- there are other messages printed to the VGA
>> (and/or serial) console during the shutdown phase when verbose.
>>
>> All you can hope for is that the kernel is still alive and Ctrl-Alt-Esc
>> to force a drop to DDB (assuming all of this is enabled in your kernel)
>> works and that someone familiar with the FreeBSD kernel can help you
>> debug it (possibly it's just easier to do that, type "panic", then
>> issue "call doadump" to force a dump to swap at that point -- kib@
>> might have better recommendations).
>>
>> Serial console can also greatly help, because quite often there are
>> pages upon pages of debugging information that are useful, otherwise you
>> have to hope the VGA console keyboard is functional (even more tricky
>> with USB) and that Scroll Lock + Page Up/Down function along with taking
>> photos of the screen; doing it this way is stressful and painful for
>> everyone involved.
>>
>> I hope this sheds some light on why I said what I did.  :-)
>>

> Ok, I will compile a new kernel with DDB option. I will submit the crash
> info and dmesg output the next time it happens. (in a new thread)
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards,

Please note that head was just patched to fix the moused issue. The fix is
also applicable to 9, but I don't know when it might be MFCed. Several
people have reported that it does resolve the problem (which is an infinite
loop in the kernel)
 and my first test seems to indicate that it works for me, but I can't be
sure as the problem was sporadic.

And, yes, I would LOVE to have a serial console back when Intel KMS is used!

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com