Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 15:36:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   2.2.1 Upgrade Login

In the never ending quest for early am entertainment, I popped in my
new 2.2.1 CD and tried the upgrade from 2.1.5. No Problem.

However, when trying to log in NONE of my users passwords worked!?

I had to re-install, reset the root password, log in to the new
system, delete and re add the users.

I installed from a dos partition with a boot floppy.  Seems that the
install program needs to have a password maintenance function that is
independant of actual install. (I could not just pop in the floppy
and reset the password - had to step through an install)

What did I miss?

Otherwise, super work! Back up and running my full network with very
little trouble!

John