Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 1998 11:36:24 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Daniel Berlin <root@danberlin.resnet.rochester.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Halloween memo - what does it mean?

Daniel Berlin wrote:

> > None of this has anything to do with the timing of this memo, where
> > it showed up, or the bare fact that Microsoft is just not a "leaking"
> > culture.  Their product plans and market research are among the most
> > closely held secrets on this planet, and I am highly suspicious of
> > the number of holes that have opened up in Redmond in the last few
> > weeks.
> Keep in mind as school progresses, and winter sets in, a lot of interns
> completely finish up (they tend to start school late, or just go second
> semester).

And to be involved in FreeBSD, Linux, or (gasp!) BeOS, right?!?!

I know all of this, and I also know the "culture of secrecy" that Microsoft
fosters; I am an ex-Intel employee after all.

Microsoft DOES participate in a well-organized conspiracy to get their
software onto every computer in the world, it's called "the Marketing
Department."  It's obviously very effective, because they haven't won
their current sales figures through technological superiority; if that
were the buying criterion we'd all be running Aegis on HP hardware.

I was attempting to explain to FreeBSD Advocates that getting all excited
about the "Halloween Documents" is not going to do them any good.  The
best plan is to come up with innovative ways to get FreeBSD, with its
generally good reputation for reliability and quality, in front of MORE
eyeballs.

Thanks for your input, though, you do help keep this from turning into
another X-files episode.  We'll probably even give you commit privs if
you're willing to have your implant removed.  ;^)

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com