Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:50:39 -0400
From:      "Steve Smith" <s.w.smith@usa.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Intel Storage Station questions

I purchased an Intel Storage Station which is a Network Attached Storage =
file server that runs on FreeBSD. See
http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/ib072099.htm and =
http://support.intel.com/support/inbusiness/storagestation/index.htm. =
The device is managed remotely through a web browser on a client =
computer. Users do not interact directly with FreeBSD or even know that =
FreeBSD is the OS. The device contains two hard drives and the web =
interface allows the user to setup the two drives as one volume or as =
two separate drives or as one mirrored drive. The user can also manage =
users and groups and set permissions. I have a few questions:

How can I clone or ghost these FreeBSD hard drives? I hooked the drives =
up to a PC and tried Ghost 2003, but I received error messages that said =
bad blocks had been encountered. Does this mean the hard drive has =
problems or is Ghost 2003 incompatible with FreeBSD?

I'm having trouble setting file permissions. I'm using Windows 2000 and =
XP clients. This Intel device pre-dates Windows 2K and XP and I'm =
wondering if my problems are due compatibility with XP and 2k. Is it =
possible that this version FreeBSD allows file permissions to work with =
correctly Windows 95 and 98 clients but not 2k or XP? If so, can I =
update FreeBSD on this device?

Thank you,
Steve Smith