Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 17:50:20 -0500
From:      "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd-hackers-digest V4 #314

On Nov 22,  4:13pm, Peter Jeremy (possibly) wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:39:16 -0800 (PST), EE <ee123@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> >I'm looking for a password generator.
>
> And various people responded with things like:
> "it's really piece of cake to write that kind of program in perl or C",
> and a couple of people posted sample code.
>
> Unfortunately, all of the postings I've seen so far suffer from a
> fatal flaw - all of them use pseudo-random numbers and hence generate
> pseudo-random passwords.

Well... no, actually, mine didn't. It uses pgp's random source, which
is composed of key timings whenever you're entering text into it.

> A true random password requires random numbers, which are very
> difficult to generate within a computer.  Depending on your needs,
> /dev/random may be adequate (see random(4)).  srandomdev(3) is a
> start, but unfortunately uses /dev/urandom instead of /dev/random
> and can quietly fall back to srandom(3) in some cases.

Certainly, using /dev/random is nice... but the code I wrote was for
IRIX originally. (It's possible that pgp 5 may use /dev/random if it's
available; I haven't gotten around to downloading it yet and checking.)

	-Allen

--
Allen Smith				easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu