Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:52:43 -0400
From:      Jim <stapleton.41@gmail.com>
To:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS troubles

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Giorgos Keramidas
<keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:30:56 -0400, Jim <stapleton.41@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to get a machine working, but it can't seem to handle DNS
>> requests. I've just done a 7.0 install (from CD, usually I use net,
>> but it wasn't connecting to anything, now I know why).
>>
>> I have a machine with two built in NICs on the motheroboard, one using
>> nfe the other using bge. When I try to connect to anything, I get a
>> "cannot resolve host error". Both are set up to be static,
>> 192.168.1.84, and bge is 192.168.1.86. I have tried both "192.168.1.1"
>> (the router, which points to the ISPs DNS) and "4.2.2.1" in the
>> /etc/resolve.conf file, each separately, not both at once. The machine
>> can ping both of these addresses and gets a decent to rapid return
>> time (~.3ms for the former, <20ms for the latter) Neither works on
>> this machine. Both work on the other FreeBSD and Windows machines in
>> the house. I have the machine set to dual boot, and DNS works fine
>> under Windows.
>
> I hope you didn't create a "resolve.conf" file, because it is called
> "resolv.conf" without a final "e", i.e.:

indeed I did. I removed the 'e' and it works perfeclty. Amazing the
difference a byte can make. Still, I wonder why it wouldn't work
during install? I feel extremely silly at this point.

Anyway, anyone know how to turn off the typo daemon? I tried 'killall
-9 typod' and '/etc/rc.d/typod stop', but nothing seems to get rid of
it...

Thanks again for the help,
-Jim Stapleton