Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 00:34:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

> > > RTFFAQ      http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/admin.html#RELEASE-CANDIDATE
> ..snip..
> > and you should work to learn our non-standard terminology" thing...
>
> Uh all other OS's I know of use these same terms -- Beta is right before
> a release, during a time annoying bugs can be fixed.  Release Candidate
> is pretty self-explanatory, nor did we invent it.
>
> So maybe you should have said something to the effect that even though
> 100% of the OSs today have "Betas" the 99% of the user population is
> totally clueless as to these words meanings.

No, the problem is the user's know where to go to get what we
call "STABLE", and they see "STABLE" as being desirable and
"BETA" as being undesirable.

OS vendors which use the term "BETA" don't leave it as a
changeling baby in place of "RELEASE+SERVICE PACK 3", which
is how people interpret "STABLE".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---