Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2007 02:43:55 -0700
From:      Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Clarification on fetch/extract targets

So, I created a new port (ports/113608) for Code::Blocks which has not
had a source code release for almost two years despite constant
development.  However, the currently correct way to get the source is
via subversion.  The port currently does this, but I'm unsure of exactly
what is required by the fetch and extract targets, so I'm not sure what
the "right" thing to do here is.  I can think of a few possibilities:

1) The fetch target is intended to do all the steps which require a
network connection and extract is intended to places the files into WRKSRC
- In this case, the fetch target would use svn co to WRKSRC and the
extract target would do nothing.  This is what the port currently does.

2) The fetch target is intended to place source archives into DISTDIR
and extract is intended to place them into WRKSRC
- In this case, the extract target would use svn co to WRKSRC and the
fetch target would do nothing.

3) The fetch target is intended to place a source archive in DISTDIR and
the extract target is intended to extract that archive into WRKSRC
- Here I would need to do the svn checkout in the fetch target, archive
it, then delete it.

4) The fetch target retrieves sources in the distribution format and
extract places them into WRKSRC
- In this case, you would svn co to a DIST_SUBDIR in fetch, then extract
would copy that to WRKSRC

5) fetch *MUST* fetch a source archive into DISTDIR.  None of this
svn/CVS checkout stuff in the ports tree.
- Hrmph.  So rather than bumping PORTREVISION to the desired subversion
revision and having it Just Work, one needs to make a source archive and
host it somewhere himself and be responsible for updating it himself too.