Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:24:47 -0400
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Drew Raines <drew-dated-1032124678.b7ab40@rain3s.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Tuesday, September 10, 2002, at 05:17  PM, Drew Raines wrote:

> Lawrence Sica wrote:
>>
>> Jesus by his actions lived by not persecuting "Let he who is
>> without sin cas the first stone".  Remember that line?
>
> Have you actually read the Bible or do you quote it fourth-hand
> for fun?

Yes I have read it.  Many many times.

> Jesus persecuted unbelievers constantly, especially the
> religious leaders of his time.  He walked around saying he was
> the only way to God, which, in that time, were the most
> horrible words someone could utter.
>
> As far as your ``quote,'' Jesus said that after the Pharisees
> brought an adulterous woman to the temple to try and trick him
> into saying she should be put to death, the Jewish penalty for
> such an act.  Instead, he told them, ``He who is without sin
> among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her'' (John
> 8:7, NASB).  His point was, just like Romans 3:23, that ``all
> have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.''  They
> deserved a stone in the head just as much or more than the
> woman for their unbelief.

Romans isn't Jesus' words.  And I read what he said as you have no
right to stone her because you are not pure either.  He told ppl he
brought a new law...and that the old laws were no longer applicable.

> However, Jesus is not subject to his implication.  He is God.
> He is perfect.  He is without sin.  He has full rights to
> persecute at his leisure.
>
>> Also the Bible was used as justification by twisting
>> interpretations and making up meanings.  The story of Noah
>> and the flood was used to justify slavery at one point.
>
> God can make up all the meaning he wants.  That's why I trust
> him with my salvation.  How the flood, however, justifies
> slavery is a mystery.  Care to elaborate?

The son who looked at noah naked?  Remember him?  Well it was said his
children would serve the rest...I forget his name off the top of my
head.  But it was then used that blacks were descended from the one
son, so they could be slaves.

--Larry