Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:33:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        wilko@tcja.nl, wilko@dontpanic.tcja.nl
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rene@freeze.iaf.nl
Subject:   Re: Please help: ISDN/PPP setup in the Netherlands

Hi,

> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently having a hard time getting a Teles 16.3 ISDN card to
> work in combination FreeBSD 2.2.1R and the BISDN/PPP set of patches.
>
> It sure looks like a config problem, so could some kind soul present
> me with a complete and coherent set of config files for ISDN/PPP?
>
> Preferably someone that uses it in the Netherlands so that we don't
> have X timezones to cross if an additional question is required? But
> any help is welcome of course.

Here are some configuration files I'm using for my ISDN - Lines:

First comes /etc/bisdn/bisdnd.cfg, I deleted all pure comment lines,
since I only use the manual page of bisdnd.cfg for documentation.
I used `1's to hide the true telephone numbers, since I might not
be authorized to publish them.

arnold, madonna and shire run the bisdn package, arnold is NetBSD 1.2 beta,
madonna and shire are FreeBSD 2.2.2 and this machine is FreeBSD-current.
lf is the CISCO router of my ISP. A very similar entry works for an
Ascend max router.

#
#    ISDN configuration with ppp0 to  lf
#
#==============================================================================
# system configuration section
#==============================================================================
system                          # this keyword starts the system configuration
ratesfile = /etc/bisdn/bisdnd.rates # the name of the ratesfile, specify this
acctfile = /var/log/bisdnd.acct # accounting file
useacctfile  = on               # off = do not write accounting info
acctall      = on               # off = write accounting records only for
#answprog     = answer		# program name of the telephone answering
#playprog     = play		# program name of the telephone play
#regprog0     = connectHCS	# program to be executed when regular
#regexpr0     = connected.*HCS	# regular expression, this will be compared
#==============================================================================
# IPI to arnold
#==============================================================================
entry				# this keyword starts a configuration entry
name           = arnold		# symbolic name for this entry/link
interface      = ipi0		# name of the interface / service
controller     = 0		# controller number to use for outgoing calls
isdntype       = dss1		# isdn protocol type for this controller
telnrem-ldo    = 01111111111 	# remote number to dial out
telnrem-rdi    = 1111111111	# remote number to verify during dial in
telnloc-ldo    = 111118	 	# local number to verify during dial out
telnloc-rdi    = 111118		# local number to verify during dial in
reaction       = accept  	# what to do when remote site calls in
protocol       = raw		# protocol to use for this link, values:
dialretries    = 2		# number of retries when dialing out
recoverytime   = 3		# time in seconds to wait between dial retries
callbackwait   = 2		# time in seconds to wait before attempting
idletime-in    = 150		# close incoming connection after being idle
idletime-out   = 150		# close outgoing connection after being idle
unitlength-dyn = on		# calculate the unit length time for outgoing
blocksize      = 2048		# max number of byte for an isdn block
ratetype       = 0  		# which rate entry to use from bisdnd.rates
calledbackwait = 10		# time in seconds to wait for a callback from
#==============================================================================
# IPI  to madonna
#==============================================================================
entry				# this keyword starts a configuration entry
name           = madonna	# symbolic name for this entry/link
interface      = ipi1		# name of the interface / service
controller     = 0		# controller number to use for outgoing calls
isdntype       = dss1		# isdn protocol type for this controller
telnrem-ldo    = 01111111115 	# telephone number used to dial out to the
telnrem-rdi    = 1111111115     # telephone number used to detect/verify a
telnloc-ldo    = 111119 	# my own local telephone number used to tell
telnloc-rdi    = 111119		# my own local telephone number used to verify
reaction       = accept  	# what to do when remote site calls in
protocol       = raw		# protocol to use for this link, values:
dialretries    = 2		# number of retries when dialing out
recoverytime   = 3		# time in seconds to wait between dial retries
callbackwait   = 2		# time in seconds to wait before attempting
idletime-in    = 150		# close incoming connection after being idle
idletime-out   = 150		# close outgoing connection after being idle
unitlength-dyn = on		# calculate the unit length time for outgoing
blocksize      = 2048		# max number of byte for an isdn block
ratetype       = 0  		# which rate entry to use from bisdnd.rates
calledbackwait = 10		# time in seconds to wait for a callback from
#==============================================================================
# IPI to shire
#==============================================================================
entry				# this keyword starts a configuration entry
name           = shire		# symbolic name for this entry/link
interface      = ipi2		# name of the interface / service
controller     = 0		# controller number to use for outgoing calls
isdntype       = dss1		# isdn protocol type for this controller
telnrem-ldo    = 0111111116 	# telephone number used to dial out to the
telnrem-rdi    = 111111116	# telephone number used to detect/verify a
telnloc-ldo    = 1111111129 	# my own local telephone number used to tell
telnloc-rdi    = 111129		# my own local telephone number used to verify
reaction       = accept  	# what to do when remote site calls in
protocol       = raw		# protocol to use for this link, values:
dialretries    = 2		# number of retries when dialing out
recoverytime   = 3		# time in seconds to wait between dial retries
callbackwait   = 2		# time in seconds to wait before attempting
idletime-in    = 150		# close incoming connection after being idle
idletime-out   = 150		# close outgoing connection after being idle
unitlength-dyn = on		# calculate the unit length time for outgoing
blocksize      = 2048		# max number of byte for an isdn block
ratetype       = 0  		# which rate entry to use from bisdnd.rates
calledbackwait = 10		# time in seconds to wait for a callback from
#==============================================================================
# PPP to lf  (Lemke und Fürst)
#==============================================================================
entry				# this keyword starts a configuration entry
name           = lf		# symbolic name for this entry/link
interface      = ippp0		# name of the interface / service
controller     = 0		# controller number to use for outgoing calls
isdntype       = dss1		# isdn protocol type for this controller
telnrem-ldo    = 0111111104 	# telephone number used to dial out to the
telnrem-rdi    = 111111104	# telephone number used to detect/verify a
telnloc-ldo    = 11111111118 	# my own local telephone number used to tell
telnloc-rdi    = 1111118	# my own local telephone number used to verify
reaction       = accept  	# what to do when remote site calls in
protocol       = raw		# protocol to use for this link, values:
dialretries    = 2		# number of retries when dialing out
recoverytime   = 3		# time in seconds to wait between dial retries
callbackwait   = 2		# time in seconds to wait before attempting
idletime-in    = 150		# close incoming connection after being idle
idletime-out   = 150		# close outgoing connection after being idle
unitlength-dyn = on		# calculate the unit length time for outgoing
blocksize      = 2048		# max number of byte for an isdn block
ratetype       = 0  		# which rate entry to use from bisdnd.rates
calledbackwait = 10		# time in seconds to wait for a callback from
changeproc = "|/etc/bisdn/start_lf_%D %N %I" #
#==============================================================================
# incoming telephone calls
#==============================================================================
entry				# this keyword starts a configuration entry
name         = TEL-IN		# symbolic name for this entry/link
interface    = play		# name of the interface / service
controller   = 0		# controller number to use for outgoing calls
isdntype     = dss1		# isdn protocol type for this controller
telnrem-rdi  = *		# telephone number used to detect/verify a
telnloc-rdi  = 111128		# my own local telephone number used to verify
reaction     = accept		# what to do when remote site calls in
protocol     = raw		# protocol to use for this link, values:
idletime-in  = 30		# close incoming connection after being idle
ratetype     = 0  		# which rate entry to use from bisdnd.rates
# EOF #########################################################################

Now comes the /etc/bisdn/start_lf_out, this file is refered to in the
last line of the only ppp entry. (You cannot use more than one ppp entry,
since bisdnd only accepts one changeproc line in the whole file?

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig ppp0 inet delete
route delete default
exec /usr/local/bin/isdnpppd -d +ua /etc/bisdn/lfpwd defaultroute \
     lcp-restart 3

Here is a little start up script to start the ppp connection:

#!/bin/sh
#clean up and start ppp0 connection via bisdn

ifconfig ppp0 inet 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2 up
ping -c 1 10.0.0.2 &
cp ~helbig/conf/resolv.lf /etc/resolv.conf
ln -sf /usr/local/etc/lynx.cfg.lf /usr/local/etc/lynx.cfg

By this script I change the configuration to my ``real'' internet service
provider `lf'. It starts the ppp connection with dummy addresses. They
will be changed to the assigned IP-addresses negotiated by PPP, and the
new default route will be set by isdnpppd. (I re-enabled most of the
code in .../isdnpppd/sys_isdn.c that changes IP_addresses and sets
default routes. I used the kernel files and patches from bisdntest-2.

I put a boot control file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/bisdn.sh, that will
be executed by /etc/rc on boot up:

#!/bin/sh
#
# startup script for bisdn
#

# output device for fullscreen mode
out_dev=/dev/ttyv3
# terminal type for fullscreen mode
out_typ=cons25

# enable lowlevel ISDN tracing
#isdn_trace=YES
isdn_trace=NO

# start the isdn daemon
if [ -x /usr/local/bin/bisdnd ]
then
	/usr/local/bin/bisdnd -d1 -f -r $out_dev -t $out_typ
else
	exit 1
fi

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/bisdntrc -a X${isdn_trace} = X"YES" ]
then
	nohup /usr/local/bin/bisdntrc -n4 -r -o/tmp/isdn.trace >/dev/null 2>&1 &
fi
echo -n ' bisdn'

The /etc/bisdn/lfpwd file contains my user name at LF and a password.
I cannot put it in this mail because it says ``permission denied''
when I try to read it in :-)

I hope this helps to get started.

Wolfgang