Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2012 13:47:53 -0500
From:      David Jackson <djackson452@gmail.com>
To:        lists@midsummerdream.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Still having trouble with package upgrades

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Rob <lists@midsummerdream.org> wrote:

> I ran into problems with pkg-upgrade when I upgraded from
> 8.2p6->9.0-RELEASE, and part of the problem ended up being a tool
> pkg_upgrade used (uma).  That was the reason portupgrade didn't work as
> well.  I ended up hacking the support tool and pkg_upgrade to do what I
> needed, but they are both definitely broken.
>
> iirc, one of the issues with uma was it's url generation.  It would
> generate urls like 9-RELEASE instead of 9.0-RELEASE, the former being the
> format for 9-STABLE and the later (which I needed) was for an upgrade for a
> release.
>
> Sadly, I've forgotten the other issues, but I remember making about 3
> hacks to the tools to get it working.

Well, thank you for posting. At least its just not me that seen these
problems. For me, binary package updates are completely broken. I wonder
how this severe and glaring problem got back FreeBSD engineers. It is such
an annoying problem. Why cant they just make things work for people who
want binary packages? As it is now, FreeBSD is totally unuseable to me.