Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:33:06 +0100
From:      Felix =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChling?= <fxkuehl@gmx.de>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Subject:   Re: ports/76257: nvidia_driver breaks xorg-clients build

Am Montag, den 21.02.2005, 11:51 -0500 schrieb Mikhail T.:
> =3D Unless someone shows me a good way to find out which version is
> =3D available at build time, I'm not going change this in Xorg CVS.
>=20
> This is the simplest of all for you to do. The glXGetProcAddress
> function appears only in the 1.4 version of GLX specifications. The
> headers supplied with NVidia's implementation #define GLX_VERSION_1_1,
> GLX_VERSION_1_2, and GLX_VERSION_1_3.
>=20
> Xorg's implementation defines GLX_VERSION_1_4 in addition to those
> three.

Ok, thanks for the pointer. I'll do that then.

>=20
> =3D For this purpose it uses some implementation-specific functions of
> =3D libGL (it uses glXGetProcAddress to find these functions). Since
> =3D NVidia has its own libGL, xdriinfo can't do anything useful with
> =3D NVidia's libGL. One more reason for me, not to care too much about
> =3D NVidia.
>=20
> NVidia's seems a perfectly good implementation of GLX-1.3.=20

I'm not questioning that.

> Your program
> currently requires the 1.4 conformance (the only program in Xorg
> distribution today). If the 1.4-features are essential to your program,
> we have to find a way to disable building it in some cases. If, on
> the other hand, your program can be modified to provide the same
> functionality with earlier GLX, please, consider doing so. Thanks,

It doesn't need GLX 1.4 features, but it requires non-standard features
which are only available in the DRI libGL (from Xorg, not sure if
XFree86 supports this too). By using glXGetProcAddress[ARB] it can
detect this functionality at run-time. Therefore, I can make xdriinfo
build with NVidia's (or any other older) GLX implementation. But it will
not be useful.

Of course, if NVidia ever chooses to adopt the DRI configuration
infrastructure, that may change. However, AFAIK they have there own
configuration mechanism.

I did not consider other libGL implementations when I wrote xdriinfo. It
may be a good idea to change the message "libGL is too old." to
something more generic, like "libGL does not support the DRI
configuration infrastructure."

>=20
> 	-mi
>=20
> P.S. Alexey! nvidia-driver port should install the headers too, in
> addition to libraries...

Regards,
  Felix

--=20
| Felix K=FChling <fxkuehl@gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |