Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 95 17:15:33 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: new install(1) utility

> As long as I'm in a rebutting mood.
>
> > Much better (if one must hack on install) to cause intermediately
> > created directories when installing a target to be owned by the
> > specified user and group instead of being owned by the installer
> > (hint: this would fix a number of X install problems).
>
> 1) Install doesn't create any intermediate directories.  Install doesn't
>    create directories period.  (Although NetBSD has added support for that
>    in their version).

% man install
[ ... ]
     -d             Create a directory.   Missing  parent  direc-
                    tories  are  created  as required as in mkdir
                    -p.  If the  directory  already  exists,  the
                    owner,  group  and  mode  will  be set to the
                    values given on the command line.

> 2) What X install programs are you talking about?  There aren't any
>    permission problems with X that I'm aware of, short of the
>    setuid/setgid requirements for certain programs which makes it
>    difficult to install them as normal users.

setuid/setgid is *exactly* what I'm talking about.

When you use the '-d' option in combination with '-g' and/or '-o',
the "Missing parent directories are created as required" owned by
root (the options are useless for a non-root user) instead of by
the user/group specified by the other options.

Meanwhile, a number of the "install::" targets generated by the
Imake.rules file rules require that ownership be set correctly;
fonts, specifically, and suid/sgid executables for X games that
keep score files, more generally.

The current correct workaround is "mkdirhier", which is a kludge,
since it requires a full X and not just "imake" and the directory
"/usr/lib/X11/config".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---