Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:46:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Jesper Wallin" <jesper@hackunite.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Default permissions of /home/user..

Hello..

I've asked this question before without getting any further help really..
When a new user is added using "adduser" on 5.x (havn't really checked
if it's the same under 4.x or not), the default homedir permission is 755
(drwxr-xr-x) which to me, looks a bit insecure? It's of course pretty easy
to solve it by a simple chmod, but yet, isn't there anyway to change the
default chmod value? Last time I asked about this, people told me to check
out the skel directory, but the only thing you can do in there is to change the
default chmod value of the files/directories _in_ the homedir, not the chmod
values of the actually homedir.. I would be glad if someone could give me
further assistanse how do solve this without manually modifying the "adduser"
script.. and if it this option doesn't exist, shouldn't it be added or is it just
me who want my homedir secure from other users? ;)

Best regards,
Jesper Wallin