Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2018 18:22:07 +0800
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Add option -Z to syslogd(8) to use ISO 8601 timestamps

On 2 April 2018 at 03:33, Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl> wrote:

> Wow! That's a coincidence. I actually started working on something in
> the same area a couple of days ago. One of our customers requires
> sub-second precision of log entries, which is why I implemented RFC
> 5424 support for FreeBSD's syslogd a couple of days ago. I sent out a
> pull request a couple of minutes ago and only noticed your email just
> now.
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D14926
>
> This patch doesn't change the output format of syslogd. It only adds
> the RFC 5424 parsing and changes the internal model of syslogd to be
> based on RFC 5424. Changing the output format to use ISO 8601
> formatting was planned for a separate change.
>
> What are your thoughts on my pull request? If you like it, maybe it
> makes more sense to land my change first before applying yours?
>
> --
> Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>
> Nuxi, 's-Hertogenbosch, the Netherlands

Hi Ed,

That is a coincidence. Having looked through your code, I realise it is far
better than mine, and mine actually resulted in the syslogd output being
non-compliant with both RFC3164 and RFC5424 (by using the RFC5424 timestamp
format with the remainder of the log matching the RFC3164 format). I have
therefore abandoned my review in favour of yours.

My effort has not been wasted though, as it meant that I was recently
familiar with the syslogd.c code, and the contents of RFC3164 and RFC5424,
and therefore had a headstart in reviewing your patch. I have provided some
comments in phabricator for your consideration.

I think you have already handled the hard part of the migration to RFC5424,
which is the updated parsing logic. Whilst you have yet changed the log
output format to RFC5424, I suspect that will be the easy bit.
When it comes time to change the output format, it is worth noting that
NetBSD has provided the "-o" syslogd argument to allow the sysadmin to
select the output format:

 -o output_format
                  Select output message format.
                  bsd, rfc3164 traditional BSD Syslog format (default)
                  syslog, rfc5424 new syslog-protocol format

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02@gmail.com