Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:53:21 -0000
From:      "Simon Gray" <simong@desktop-guardian.com>
To:        "Wm Brian McCane" <root@mccons.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiport Serial

> > A customer with a server running about 20 dumb terminals plus some PCs
on
> > a network, wants to put a box in a satellite office to run 4 or 5
> > terminals and a printer.  They also would like a new report system and
we
> > are looking at setting up a box with about 32 modems hanging off it's
> > backside for faxing and dumping directly to onsite modem/buffer/printer
> > units.

Might be easier to run an isdn30 setup (rather than banks of serial ports
with modems hanging off them). The eicon diva server pri cards allow up to
30isdn channels per card. You could always start off with 8 channels on, and
as required just request more channels from the telco. I think the maximum
server cards you can have per machine is 3 or 4 (allowing around 100+ isdn
channels per box).

Now i've not done this under bsd, but under windows you can communicate with
each isdn channel through the drivers as if it were a standard com port
using the at commands, which makes life much easier. (You could use a lower
level and talk directly to the card if you wanted to.

We use these in our java phone servers, they work well. Definatly easier
than a big stack of modems, plus you can terminate the call without ever
answering it (useful for protecting against potential war dialing etc..)

Not sure how well supported these cards are under freebsd tho, might be
worth a look tho

(quick look in google found quite a bit >>
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=diva+server+freebsd << )

HTH

Simon