Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 2009 05:11:38 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        ajtiM <lumiwa@gmail.com>
Cc:        Mark Moellering <mark@msen.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: K3b-DVD

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:18:14 -0500, ajtiM <lumiwa@gmail.com> wrote:
> in /etc/devfs.conf:
>
>  Commonly used by many ports
> link    acd0    cdrom
> link    acd0    dvd
> link    cd0     cdrom
> link    cd0     dvd

All four lines? Where do /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom actually point
to? The devices should be cd0, not acd0. The growisofs program
utilizes /dev/cd0 for burning via the atapicam facility - I'm
sure you have loaded it.

> # K3b
> perm    /dev/acd0       0666
> perm    /dev/cd0        0666

I'm not sure the /dev/ "prefix" is needed...

> perm    cdrom   0666
> perm    dvd     0666
> perm    xpt0    0666
> perm    pass4   0666

For comparison: I have

	link    acd0    cdrom
	link    cd0     dvd

only, and permissions

	own     cd0     root:operator
	perm    cd0     0664
	own     xpt0    root:operator
	perm    xpt0    0660
	own     pass0   root:operator
	perm    pass0   0660

I added my username to the operator group (and wheel), so I can
have power on the devices needed for burning. Have you done this,
too?

> and in /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> /dev/cd0                /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

I don't know why you are employing cd0 and acd0 in parallel. You
can use cd0 for everything. I'm using the acd driver only for
reading CDs and DVDs, but for recording them, cd0 is used. So
the corresponding entries in my /etc/fstab is this:

	/dev/acd0    /media/cdrom      cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

Allthough it looks like a medium error, it's still possible that
it is a permission problem, and growisofs is showing this problem.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0