Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:01:52 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   floppy drive

Hello,

I have just discovered a strange problem on my new PC. The mother board is an
Abit KT7 hosting a Duron with Via chipset. I can triple boot FreeBSD
4.1-RELEASE (stock GENERIC kernel) Linux and Win98.

Problem: under freebsd i cannot run fdformat fd0.
Immediately bad crc errors appear, only some sectors come out with V.
Of course i have tried with several floppies and two floppy drives, one of
them working very well in another machine.

Much stranger: with the same floppy and floppy drive and machine, formatting
works perfectly OK with Linux and Win98.

To add to the bizarre, once i have a good fdformatted floppy (under linux) i
can perfectly read and write to it under freebsd.
dd if=/dev/fd0 of= /tmp/flop    works and is quite fast.
dd if=/tmp/flop of=/dev/fd0   also works.
Floppy drives are Sony, and it is the first time i see that on a freebsd
machine.

--
Michel Talon