Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:27:07 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Jonathan Disher <jdisher@parad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anyone run 4.7 on amd dualMP's

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 05:47:55PM -0500, Jonathan Disher wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Eriq wrote:
>
> > just wondering how stable 4.7 would be on that hardware. has anyone tryed
> > running dual MPs and what is there take on it or is intel better. I would
> > like to go dual but not sure which way to go
>
> Yes, we have a dual MP2200 that is fast as hell.
>
> Our only current problem is that MySQL sucks on a FreeBSD machine with
> more than 1 CPU.  I'm still eagerly awaiting 5.0-RELEASE to see if our
> problems are fixed.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE on dual P-II 350's and it is also pretty
damn fast.

Is your experence that your MySQL database is slow during writes or
updates? You do know that MySQL is single threaded on a write? It locks the
table on a write, as in an insert, update, or delete. Have you considered
Postgresql?

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 4.7
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | www.bafug.org