Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 2010 21:37:51 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        pyunyh@gmail.com, Nick Rogers <ncrogers@gmail.com>, stable@freebsd.org, jfv@freebsd.org, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: em(4) + ALTQ broken

On Tuesday 02 February 2010 18:48:02 Jack Vogel wrote:
> So apparently this thing needs no special knowledge in the driver, yet
> something in
> the new code breaks it, can someone explain tersely how the altq app
> actually
> "pokes" or "hooks up" to the driver? I am not clear about that and I
>  suspect if I was
> this would all be clearer.

The whole story is in

  man 9 altq

long story short, as long as you consistently use the IFQ_* macros to manage
the interface queue, things should just work.  if_var.h used to conditionally
define these macros to avoid ALTQ overhead when the kernel is built without
ALTQ.  This has changed a long time ago and should not make any difference
anymore.

I can't figure out who the OP is, but could you make sure that the includes
that are used to built the kernel are up to date?  You are building with the
buildkernel target and not "the old way", right?  Also, if you build just the
module, the build might pick up the includes from /usr/include instead of
src/sys ...