Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 2014 12:32:57 +1100 (AEDT)
From:      Peter Ross <Peter.Ross@alumni.tu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   VirtualBox performance

Hi all,

I am running VirtualBox on a new server (a Dell T620).

Inside is Oracle Linux. I run a Java app and it is very slow to
start.

Memory should not be an issue. I have 32 GB and 8 GB for the VM.

The server has 2 Xeon CPUs with 4 core each (hypertthreated so VBox sees
16 CPUs).

I do not see any difference between using 1 CPU or 16 for the VM..

Interestingly all the host CPUs are 60-70% in system calls when I run it
on 16 CPUs, according to top.

I am tempted to experiment with CPU sets, btw.

I wonder whether VirtualBox and multiple CPUs are a good mix at all..

Do you have any recommendations how to speed up my VM and Java?

Thank you
Peter