Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 12:19:38 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        "Dorr H. Clark" <dclark@applmath.scu.edu>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hyperthreading: myth or legend? (was Re: hyperthreading? (was Re:  question))

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> Terry, it boots and probes as a 4way box with 2 cpus.  I'm sure
> the listed optimizations you provided would be of some assistance
> however I HAVE seen it boot and probe as a 4way.

Well, then it really comes down to what "support" means.  It's
like saying a sound card is supported when all you can do with it is
make it make an error "beep" equivalent to that of a PC speaker: yes,
there's presentation; no, there's not utilization.

I expect that, unless you are running threaded code, and have a
uniform load (i.e. you have few contending processes), then a
FreeBSD box with an SMT processor will gain about an 18% speedup
for the SMT -- if that.  Most FreeBSD code is not threaded, and
you lose all the locality that you'd otherwise have, were that
not the case, and were the scheduler careful.  The same contention
problems that prevent reasonably scaling to more than 4 CPUs will
be magnified in the SMT system.

So from one perspective:

	Q: "Does FreeBSD support Hyperthreading?"