Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:45:50 +0200
From:      FLEURIOT Damien <ml@my.gd>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   make installworld and securelevel

Hello list,

I apologize if this issue has been raised already but I couldn't
find it anywhere.

Find below a snip from my installworld:

>>> Installing everything
cd /usr/src; make -f Makefile.inc1 install
===> share/info (install)
===> lib (install)
===> lib/csu/i386-elf (install)
install -o root -g wheel  -m 444 crt1.o crti.o crtn.o gcrt1.o
/usr/lib
===> lib/libc (install)
install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libc.a /usr/lib
install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libc_p.a /usr/lib
install -s -o root -g wheel -m 444   -fschg -S  libc.so.7 /lib
^C

My concern is with the last line which installs libc.so.7 and
chflags it.

I was running with securelevel 1 and got denied.
I had to revert to the old kernel, change my securelevel, reinstall
the new 7.2 kernel, then run my installworld.

This hasn't caused me any other issue, but what will happen the day
the libc.a or libc_p.a which are installed in the early steps of
installworld become incompatible with the old kernel (if this is at
all possible) ?

I wouldn't have been able to boot anymore (this is a remote host).
The server has a rescue system, but I think a lot of trouble could
be saved by interrupting "make installworld" if we're running above
securelevel 0.

What do you think list ?

Regards,

Damien