Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 08:02:01 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, luoqi@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Subject:   Re: vm_fault deadlock and PR 8416 ... NOT fixed!

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9905120057500.614-100000@lazlo.internal.steam.
com>, C
liff Skolnick writes:
> On Wed, 12 May 1999, David Greenman wrote:
>
> > >Well a few minutes ago my system went into deadlock - and this is with the
> > >kern_lock.c dated 5/11.  This patch is different than the one in 8416 that
> > >solved my problem before.  I'd say this the problem is still there.

The problem occurred again while running a memory intensive application (tripwire) on the system normally suffers these  hangs this morning.  It responds to pings, nothing else.  I think it's time to try plan B again.

Interestingly enough I was running the same application on another system with ~ 1/3 the clock speed (120 MHz v.s. 333 MHZ) and 63% of the memory (80 MB v.s. 128 MB).  It's never hung slower system.  Could it be that CPU speed contributes to this?  Or could it be that the speed of the CPU in relation to the amount of memory installed on the system might be a factor?

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC
                      "e**(i*pi)+1=0"