Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:11:20 +0400
From:      "Vasily V. Grechishnikov" <bazilio@monitord.vrn.ru>
To:        <dg@root.com>
Cc:        "Bill Paul" <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Some errors in XL driver ?

-----Original Message-----
From: David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To: Vasily V. Grechishnikov <bazilio@monitord.vrn.ru>
Cc: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: 13 августа 1998 г. 17:01

>>Now my 3c905B works nicely.
>>netstat -ni after applying patch listed below:
>>Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
>>Coll
>>xl0   1500  <Link>      00.10.4b.06.a7.55     9083     4     4018  1565
>>332
>
>   1565 output errors? That doesn't look so nice to me...
    Ueaah ! I confused !
    We haven't any serious transmit errors, because I
didn't seen any error message like xl0: watchdog timeout.
After analyzing if_xl.c I understood source of this big Oerrs
count: as output errors driver treated xl_stats.tx_deffered, I
guess number of deffered transmitted frames. After manually
ifconfig'uring xl0 interface with media/mediaopt or after
pacthing I seen performance impact on this NIC 650Kb/s with
NE2000 as peer. Also I'm not feel delays due to recieve errors,
but before telnet from 3c905 box looks like busy
ppp connection :-( .

    One suspicuous thing: I tried to test this NIC in times of
our network inactivity but we has big number of collisions:
250, 332, 400 ! It's not good !