Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 2004 05:40:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser@remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP!!! USB MFC committed..

[sorry for the late followup.  also, my address is ipv6-only; drop it and
 I'll catch up from the archives after some time]

> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > The USB code in RELENG_4 has been updated to match that in -current.
> > Please test any USB devices that are critical to you BEFORE we release
> > 4.10 :-)

> p.s. there are some more MFCs to come but they are minor
> (except for what looks like a major rewrite of parts of umass)

Would it be possible to merge in the umass parts of -current that
enable all slots of a 6/8/whetever-in-1 USB card reader/writer
thingies to be detected?

In source updated around 30.mar, building the umass -stable kernel
module only finds the CF slot.

I've added a few dozen lines to the -current umass code and built
a module from that which appears to work as needed (meaning, I have
not had major problems, but I haven't stress-tested it) with the
-stable usb code and kernel I'm using.  This gives me all sorts of
da* devices (see below).  Unfortunately, adding EHCI support to the
usb.ko module causes panics with such a umass.ko module; adding an
EBUSY line to match -stable seems to make things better, but not
perfect (from what I can remember).  The below result is with only
uhci/ohci support.

My added-lines hack is not based on knowing what I'm doing, but rather
based on what appears superficially to work and is probably horribly
wrong.  I believe the code to add support for the card readers was
added to -current something like a year ago, and may possibly be
found in a patch mentioned around that time by Bernd Walter -- as I
have not been online, I haven't been able to download it and check.
The -current diff appears to be between 1.79 and 1.80, but when
massaged into -stable, I don't get all the devices (can be my fault).

My world/kernel/modules on the machine in question are a horrible
mongrel mix spanning the last couple of years and originate from
both -stable and adopted out of -current, so I hesitate to make a
fool of myself by publicly posting the added lines to umass.c from
-current to make it operate with my mostly-stable.

(Actually, it looks like all I did was to un-re-implement
cam_calc_geometry() back to what was in -stable, and to say that
I don't have a ZIP_100 so I could junk that portion of the code
just to get it to compile quietly, rather than to make it work.)

thanks
barry bouwsma

Preloaded elf module "usb_NEW.ko" at 0xc042f600.
Preloaded elf module "ums_NEW.ko" at 0xc042f6a0.
Preloaded elf module "ugen_NEW.ko" at 0xc042f740.
Preloaded elf module "umass_CURRENT.ko" at 0xc042f7e0.
 [...]
umass1: OTi USB 7-in-1 Card Reader, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 4
umass1:1:1:-1: Attached to scbus1
 [...]
umass2: SMSC 223 USB97C223, rev 2.00/1.95, addr 7
umass2:2:2:-1: Attached to scbus2
 [...]
Creating DISK da0
Creating DISK da1
Creating DISK da2
Creating DISK da3
Creating DISK da4
Creating DISK da5
Creating DISK da6
Creating DISK da7
Creating DISK da8
 [snipping for brevity]
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Maxtor 5000XT v01.00.00 0100> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: Serial Number A80A06AE
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: 239371MB (490232832 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 30515C)

da1 at umass-sim1 bus 1 target 0 lun 0
da1: <OTi CF CARD Reader 2.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
 [Serial Number lines from this umass device are a control-underscore]
da1: 1.000MB/s transfers

da5 at umass-sim2 bus 2 target 0 lun 0
da5: <SMSC 223 U HS-CF 1.95> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da5: Serial Number
da5: 1.000MB/s transfers

da2 at umass-sim1 bus 1 target 0 lun 1
da2: <OTi SM CARD Reader 2.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da2: 1.000MB/s transfers

da3 at umass-sim1 bus 1 target 0 lun 2
da3: <OTi SD CARD Reader 2.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da3: 1.000MB/s transfers
da3: 60MB (124160 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 60C)

da6 at umass-sim2 bus 2 target 0 lun 1
da6: <SMSC 223 U HS-MS 1.95> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da6: Serial Number
da6: 1.000MB/s transfers

da4 at umass-sim1 bus 1 target 0 lun 3
da4: <OTi MS CARD Reader 2.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da4: 1.000MB/s transfers

da7 at umass-sim2 bus 2 target 0 lun 2
da7: <SMSC 223 U HS-SM 1.95> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da7: Serial Number
da7: 1.000MB/s transfers

da8 at umass-sim2 bus 2 target 0 lun 3
da8: <SMSC 223 U HS-SD/MMC 1.95> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da8: Serial Number
da8: 1.000MB/s transfers
da8: 243MB (498176 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 243C)