Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:46:54 +0100
From:      anselmg@t-online.de (Anselm Garbe)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   system hangs after reboot

Hi all!

I've an IBM PC Server 315 with FreeBSD-stable (currently 4.5-RC).
It's a Pentium Pro 200 system with Adaptec 2940 UW-SCSI Controller and 3
SCSI-drives. The problem is, that a reboot of this server results in
hanging the system after the "Rebooting..." message. I need to cold
start the system every time, I tried to invoke a reboot (via reboot,
shutdowm, Ctrl-Alt-Del or something else).
I tried a long time until now to solve the problem with no success.
Here's what I can say:
 - Under Slackware Linux 8.0 and a self made LFS-2.4.17 the server reboots
fine - so I'm sure that the system is able to reboot in protected mode.
 - The BOROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET option has no effect (keyb. controller
   seems to be ok).
 - SCSI can't be the problem, because I tried kernels without
   SCSI-support.
 - The keyboard can't be the problem, because I tried several keyboards.
 - APM was disabled in BIOS and kernel.
 - I tried several CPU_-kernel options with no effect.
 - SMP-support has no effect (is a single CPU-board).

I've to add that the server is possibly one of the oldest systems with
USB-support, but USB is disabled (kernel options disabled).
The BIOS Version and SCSI-BIOS is up to date (I flashed the latest
releases available).

I think, that this problem can be observed on any IBM PC Server 315.

Does anyone know a solution?

Cheers,
Anselm
PS: And sorry for my bad English - it's not my native language, but I'm
going to learn it in a native speaking country in the near future.