Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:17:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamic sysctl registration

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <199901252212.OAA18030@bubba.whistle.com>, Archie Cobbs writes:
> >Doug Rabson writes:
> >>
> >> If anyone is interested in seeing diffs (approx 23k), please contact me.
> >
> >I'm interested.. could you email me the diffs?
> >
> >I'm more interested in whether these patches can be committed... ?
> >Have Poul, DG, et. al. seen them?
>
> I'm somewhat weary of doing too much for sysctl, until we have
> intelligently examined the stuff and decided which way we want to
> go with it.

I'm fairly weary of it myself which is why I've put off doing this work
for literally years.

> (This patch is probably perfectly all right, without this comment
> being construed as a "Reviewed by:" :-), but before it goes in, I
> would like to hear if sysctl "is basically what we want" or if
> sysctl needs to be extended (for instance in the "repository"
> direction) ?
>
> One of the weak points about the current sysctl scheme is the
> rather simpleminded permission scheme, will we need something
> more capable ?  The current system >is< capable if you write it
> yourself in a function, but we don't want 100 functions doing
> the same thing.)
>
> We probably also need to consider name-space management...
>
> And, documentation.  I do like the "semi-literate" programming
> style, where you can stick a meaningfull documentation (ie,
> potentially several pages of it) right there in the source, (but
> I don't want it compiled in and loaded!) but for it to become real
> documentation, SGML or -man will be needed, and that would probably
> be too ugly for most eyes, or no ?

I'm finding it hard to focus on whether a registry is needed.  Possibly by
the proposed devd, possibly not.  I think that a decision can't be made
without actually working on the design of anything which uses it is not
going to be possible.

I'm not trying to replace sysctl at this point, just spruce it up a bit so
it at least works with the new kernel subsystems.  The limited time I have
to spend on FreeBSD at the moment pretty much prevents anything more
ambitious.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com