Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:27:06 -0500
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <lists@webtent.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Wireless pc card on FreeBSD 6.0

I have my wireless card associating with my access point using the
following command from the doc at:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ath&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD
+5.3-RELEASE

# ifconfig ath0 inet 192.168.0.20 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid WEBTENT
# ifconfig
ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.0.20 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
        inet6 fe80::280:c8ff:fe1f:9655%ath0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
        ether 00:80:c8:1f:96:55
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid WEBTENT channel 6 bssid 00:05:5d:89:c8:78
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 32 protmode CTS bintval 100

But cannot browse the network at all. I also have a wired connection to
the network on the laptop and cannot ping the address assigned to the
wireless card unless the wired connection is connected, why would this
be?

Also, of course, as you can see above, I need to get WEP going, but not
sure how to specify the WEP key in ASCII or determine the HEX needed
from the ASCII key, can someone suggest how this is done? And I'd like
to get it to use DHCP, how would I do this?

--
Robert