Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:42:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        mgraffam@idsi.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: most FreeBSD-like Linux

mgraffam@idsi.net once wrote:

> > Hi! Being forced into a Linux  land by FreeBSD's inability to run on
> > my  AlphaXL  300,  I  need  to  choose  a  Linux  distribution.  I'm
> > not  asking  "which  is  the  best one",  but  "which  is  the  most
> > FreeBSD-like"? I  put the Debian on  so far, and it  seems nice, but
> > different from FreeBSD...

> Well, it depends  on what you mean by "FreeBSD-like"..  are we talking
> system layout, bundled apps, configurabilty, .. ??

It is the layout and configurabilty.

> If you want a large number of bundled, free apps, Debian is the way to
> go. If  you're looking for commercial  support, then look at  RH.. you
> can always compile the free apps yourself.

I doubt,  those commercial  companies who support  a particular  dist of
Linux support  Alpha anyway. XiG does  not -- as I  found out yesterday,
for example. I  can probably survive any  dist, I just don't  want to be
annoyed too much by it being different from FreeBSD.

Thanks!

	-mi