Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:24:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: {a}sync updates (was Re: make install trick)

:> 	We're talking about the special case of small root partitions, such that
:> softupdates inability to make empty space available quickly can make the
:> difference between a major operation's success or failure.
:>
:> 	This is almost impossible on a 1.8Gb root partition.
:
:Again why?  What's the difference between a small / and a 1.8GB (byte not
:...
:Why would I be so concerned?  If I don't expect to need that 15M then,
:I've sized my partition just right.  Don't put cares in my basket that
:...
:--
:-- David    (obrien@FreeBSD.org)

    I think the argument has become somewhat skewed.  The softupdates bug
    occurs when a filesystem fills up, it doesn't really matter how small or
    large the filesystem is.

    What matters more is how often a partition is actually written to and
    how likely the chance of the partition filling up.

    Personally speaking, I tend to use small (64-128MB) root partitions
    with a separately mounted /usr and /var (and /tmp a softlink to /var/tmp).
    In fact, I usually separate out /var/tmp as well.  I do this simply to
    reduce the amount of writing that occurs on the root partition in order
    to ensure that I don't lose it accidently.

    This has saved my butt on innumerable occassions... there is something
    to be said for being able to boot into a workable shell when you've
    blown up the rest of the system!  With my configuration I feel perfectly
    safe enabling softupdates on root.  In other configurations, such as
    having /usr and /var on the same partition as root, I might not
    feel as safe.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>