Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 17:40:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Alan Strassberg <alan@wj.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5 -> 2.1.6 files

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Alan Strassberg wrote:

> 	Want to upgrade from 2.1.5 to 2.1.6 but unclear which
> 	files to ftp.
>
> 	I've RTFM but don't see upgrades addressed. What's the
> 	technique ?

Basically, treat it as an install, so download bin and the pieces you
installed originally plus any you want to add this time.  The upgrade
procedure hasn't changed since 2.1.5.  Here is my handy-dandy guide to
upgrading FreeBSD:

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Sean J. Schluntz wrote:

> I have three FBSD systems running on my network at this time.  I would like
> to get my Administrative system upgraded to v2.1.5 (The others are running
> fine they will wait until v2).  What is the best way to do this?  I tried
> the upgrade option from the boot disk and got a nice little warning message
> that made me wonder if that was really the way.

Yes.  That is the way.

Quick checklist (which I just wrote last message...):

1)  BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC.  IT __WILL__ BE HOSED!!!

2)  Boot the new floppy.  Select the 'update' option.  Follow the prompts.
Make sure you MOUNT your filesystems and not NEWFS them.  Select the same
distributions you did originally and any you wish to add.

3)  Hit 'commit'.  Take note of the modified files.

4)  WHen you're dumped to a shell prompt:

	.  Copy services back from your backup /etc.  It's three lines
 	   long now :(

	.  Edit sysconfig and re-config from scratch using your old one as
	   a guide.  It's changed a bunch this time around and it's too
	   much pain to hack in the new changes.

	.  Migrate any changes you made to rc.local.

5)  Reboot, recompile & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy.