Date:      Sun, 20 Nov 2005 14:16:24 +0100
From:      Holger Kipp <hk@alogis.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FBSD-6 usb/scanner-access-rights

Hello,

I am slightly unsatisfied with user rights management,
especially with usb-devices, but also with access to
cd/dvd-burners for the following reason:

I'd like to be able to allow access to burners that
are accessed as scsi-devices (via atapicam) for some
users, but for that to work it is not sufficient to
allow access via cd0/cd1, but I also have to allow
the corresponding pass<x>-devices. For usb-scanner
it is even worse. If I allow access to uscanner0,
this does not work unless I also allow the corresponding
/dev/usb<x>-device.
umass<x> is also accessed as da<x>-device and also
therefore needs some da-devices to be allowed rw-access
for 'ordinary' users. I don't relly like to allow direct
access to the related devices (da<x>, pass<y>  - especially
if the system is using scsi-disks).

Is there an easy way to name the devices a user might
be allowed to access rw, without compromising the system?
I don't want to give operator group to these users,
and I don't want to blindly allow access to some
da- or pass-devices where I cannot determine the order
of numbering easily.

I hope this does not sound ignorant. Pointers to helpful
information are also welcome :-)

Regards,
Holger Kipp