Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:22:59 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Halliday <paul.halliday@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for troubleshooting tips.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Paul Halliday <paul.halliday@gmail.com>wrote:

> I shift deleted my inbox and lost all of the original replies :(
>
> anyway... I have another sensor that just started to exhibit this same
> behavior. This time though, I have some more info:
>
> swap_pager_getswapspace(4): failed
> swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
> swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
> swap_pager_getswapspace(2): failed
> pid 75157 (flow-report), uid 1001, was killed: out of swap space
>
> What made me notice this time was the zabbix (http://www.zabbix.com/)
> agent on this host kept bumping online/offline. So it looks like we
> are loaded enough to affect other processes as well.
>
> Is this just a matter of adding more ram?

1.  This is what I would do provided 3 is explored appropriately

> Or do I increase the swap space?

2.  This works too, but keep in mind swap space is orders of magnitude
slower than RAM.

> Or is there another issue here; I have never ran out of swap space before?

3.  Could be a runaway process/memory leaking consuming all available
resources.  If that is the case 1 and 2 won't help so check this out first.

> Thanks.

Please don't top-post.

--
Adam Vande More