Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:06:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jeff Daigle <lordjeff@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: little problem....

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Jeff Daigle wrote:

> i just downloaded freebsd and i installed it off of a ms-dos partition, it installed without error, then i exited the sysinstall program rebooted and it started the boot manager up.. i hit f1 which loads freebsd, it started listing all of my devices then it said
>
> panic: connot mount root

Did I answer this already?

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).