Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 01:43:54 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keep UUCP (Was: Re: security hole in FreeBSD)

Jay D. Nelson shared with us:
> Sometimes I think we can be too "internet-centric" for our own
> good. UUCP makes good security and economic sense.
>
> [lotsa points deleted]
>
> Make it an install option if you want, but leave it as a part of the
> standard distribution.

I can only agree with this. As long as queued SMTP isn't commonly
used, keep UUCP. (And then there's the News thing, too.)

I have a rather complicated mail setup, with filters that delete,
refuse, save in a folder or resend mail to my UUCP node according
to a set of rules. To do it without UUCP would be inconvenient,
to put it mildly.

For a non-connected host, who wants to use standard mailers like
Mutt or Elm, there's no real alternative.

- Peter