Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 23:09:38 +0000
From:      David Banning <david@www3.pacific-pages.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   changing unix disk to slave - drive problem

I have my unix drive in position ad0 and I want to install
it as ad1 - I've done this before - I boot from the A: drive
then at boot: I type 0:wd(1,a)/kernel and it continues to
load from the slave position.

Now I have a new drive which I want to do the same with.
I am running into problems.  The initial boot goes OK
but when it runs into fstab it gioves some error like
can't mount /dev/ad1s1a as / - different from mounted
partition wd1s1a

So I tried renaming wd1a to wd1s1a, wd1e to wd1s1e, etc..
but I get the same error, even though there is a /dev entry
to match the fstab entry which also matches the mounted partition
wd1s1a - I've done this before with success (somehow).

I'm not sure the significance of wd versus ad - the Stable 4.0
version I upgraded from earlier versions used wd0 and wd1
while the Stable 4.0 I just installed from cdrom uses ad0
and ad1.

Any idea what I'm missing?