Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 14:30:56 -0700
From:      "Michael Bryan" <fbsd-security@ursine.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Denial of service attack from "imagelock.com"

I previously wrote:

>I wrote
>a letter to 'info@imagelock.com', asking that they cease and desist of
>all scans of web servers in our network.  Within an hour I had a
>response from 'belanger@imagelock.com'.  He indicated that he had
>added our domain to the "do not scan" list they maintain.  So he
>was at least responsive, and on a Sunday to boot.
>
>Of course, I then pointed out to him that what I wanted was for our
>entire network range to be fully bypassed by their scans, not just
>our main domain.  We have several hosted domains, and I don't want
>to have to keep his list updated everytime we add/delete a domain.
>I haven't heard back yet, but I would hope that they are capable of
>blocking by IP address in addition to domain name.

I got another response, again in fairly short order, indicating that
this is exactly what they have done.  He also gave me a phone number
to call if I should ever notice their spider visiting our web sites
again in the future.

So they are responsive to requests to be put on their "don't scan me"
list.  That doesn't change the fact that their scanning methods are
on the harsh side, but at least you can get them to stop scanning your
network without adding another firewall rule.

Michael Bryan
fbsd-security@ursine.com