Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:26:22 -0700
From:      "J.C. Frazier" <wolfman@csocs.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apache13-fp-modssl problem with passwords

Thank you very much everyone for the help, I greatly apreciate it.

The solution was fairly easy.  Even though FP extensions are statically
linked to the descrypt(), apache, which was linked to libscrypt() could not
deal with it.  I changed my links from libcrypt() to libdescrypt(), yet
that didn't fix the problem.  You must also recompile apache.  Once that
was done, everything worked perfect and no more password mismatch errors.
All new passwords are crypted in DES after this is done unless you supply a
MD5 salt ($1$xx) in /etc/master.passwd prior to making the new user.
Changes in existing users are not effected and remain encrypted in MD5.
Conclusion:  libscrypt() will only support MD5, libdescrypt() supports both
DES and MD5.  Apache needs to be compiled under libdescrypt() in order to
function correctly with frontpage.  Thanks again.

J.C. Frazier