Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:32:50 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcm0 not responding on -CURRENT...

> > Anyone have any ideas why I'd be able to load snd_pcm.ko, then
> > have it stop responding as soon as I try and play a sound through
> > it?  The dev entry disappears after the 1st time I try and use it.
> > I haven't recompiled my kernel, the only thing I've done recently
> > was use bsd-airtools (which I think did something someplace...).
> >
> > Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/snd_pcm.ko" at 0xc047b15c.
> > pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem 0xfaffe000-0xfaffffff irq 5 at device 8.0 on pci0
> > pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
> > pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
> > pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
>
> I get this, too from time to time on my DI 8100.  However, if I
> reboot, the problem is usually solved, so it's something
> intermittent.  I have noticed since the latest maestro3 update the
> other day, I haven't seen the problem.

Hmm...  alright.  As soon as usr.bin/ps is fixed on -CURRENT, I'll
rebuild and plunge into KSE III land.  <:~)

> > The only other thing that I can note of any significance for this
> > laptop is that on shutdown, this laptop will normally freeze hard
> > after it says "unloading vnlru" or some such.  Anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > My best/wild/flailing guess is that one of the airtools did something
> > to my sound card... but I don't know how to reset the hardware config
> > for the snd card.  eh?  -sc
>
> Could be.  While I have a wireless card for this laptop, I do not use
> bsd-airtools (yet).

The thing that scares me about the bsd-airtools (port is in queue to
be committed) is that is that it tried to access the audio device when
I used it... and I haven't had sound since.  To me it seems
implausible or something that would last beyond reboots, but it has so
I'm stumped.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden