Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:33:20 +0200
From:      Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
To:        Derek Barrett <derekbarrett@graffiti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Application cluster (long post sorry).

Derek Barrett wrote:

>Glad to see you are enthusiatic about this, and it looks like
>you have some possible help too.
>
>One of the weaknesses of the freebsd community as I have seen,
>and some of the guys who left the core have commented on,
>is that the community seems to spend MORE time on debating
>theory and shooting each other down rathar than actually
>going out and prototyping something.

I agree, but I have come to the basic understanding that most of the
main posters are not really very nice people.   There are a few
exceptions, but I wrote to about a dozen of the "big wigs" and to
date have recieved no replies after a retrying many times.  I was
so frustrated that I even wrote to Jordan Hubbard (and I did get
a response--though it was more or less a justification of the way
things were).   My basic conclusion is that the people making the
decisions seem to want to deal with the same community of people
that they always have and that new people are relegated as "kids"
no matter how long they might have been in the Corporate world
(where such participation is nearly impossible because of
Intellectual Property agreements) doing more advanced things.
It seems that the only way to "rock your way" onto the stage is
to do something really big.  I don't see much of that kind of thing
left anymore in the mainstream that these people don't already
have ownership of.

I realize there *ARE* a lot of newcomers (real newbies)
--but if the project is to have some merit and grow--one
*MUST* welcome new blood and only in these situations can
a project leap forward as I hope this effort will.  New people
are valuable because they question the authority and cause
people to think in ways they never thought before and sometimes
this causes a watershed effect that makes possible major leaps
forward.  They have a cost--certainly, but overall, I think it
is very much a worthwhile expense.

I have absolutely no problem with the basic concept of anarchy,
as long as teamwork is preserved.  I don't consider my work
the "holy grail" but instead material for discussion and a starting
point.  The problem I see is that people don't want to discuss
on the main list--at least with me.

One of the things I have come to really appreciate working
abroad is the whole awareness of "Mobbing".  It isn't the same
meaning as we had in the USA where you see a famous person
and suddenly they are surrounded--but quite the opposite.  It
is when people are systematically stripped of ability to impact
their place in their working situation--they get excluded
because they didn't play the office politics correctly.

Having a heart problem with high blood pressure, I decided that
it wasn't worth my time and frustration any longer to remain
in anything that causes stress levels to rise.  Leaving the main
list has satisfied this.  One can only change what is within ones
reach.

Happily this situation seems like the way things *should* be and
yes I am eagerly looking forward to see how things progress.  It
might take the little splinters of small groups to reinstate the values
that made such projects as FreeBSD fun in the first place.

So perhaps all this being said, "Let's really rock this place".  Look
for a post of code in the Monday timeframe (no internet at home
in the moment--and this account is at work).

For backup purposes I can also be reached at 'asporner@yahoo.com'

I realize that some people might consider at least part of my name
as grounds to eliminate it from their reading list (for those not as
alert 'porn').  I even read that  a 'sporner' is one who distributes
spam porn!   If I were motivated I think this might make a very
good court case and I might even be able to retire.  I had a fight with
espn sports over my login name  (the same is true with grafiti) because
it was considered illegal.  I was told to change my name--which
sounds an awefull lot like discrimination.  If computers are to save
us from ourselves --they should be flexible.  I told the systems
people to look at 'www.switchboard.com' and put the name in--
it's legal.

OK  I guess starting next week we can get this thing off.  I will
post separately what is missing and what should probably be
added.

Sorry for the long post