Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 22:24:38 -0700
From:      Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Ethics of Free Software

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 08:55:10AM +0530, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> Instead the article confuses the whole idea, and alleges that RMS/the
> FSF don't want you to pay for your software (in fact RMS carefully
> distinguishes between free speech and free beer).

The distinction between free speech and free beer is bogus. If you can
pay Sun or Microsoft $1000 per line of code, they'll easily sell you the
rights to the code. You can GPL it and have free speech and they won't
have a problem with you.

Their curtailing of your right to look at the code (!free speech) is
motivated by their desire to make money (!free beer). Therefore free
beer and free speech are not two entirely different concepts, with the
former being despicable and the latter being divine. Again, the analogy
between free speech and free software is flawed. "Free listening to
market research by a Merrill Lynch analyst" would be closer.

The claim that "for profit software" and "closed source software" are
different is not supported by market realities. Neither RMS nor ESR
have come up with a viable economic model which can support all the
programmers being supported by the current closed source software economy.

If I were to take free software as anything more than a hobby, they'll
have to answer the hard economic questions. Otherwise, they'll just
limit their support bases to impressionable college kids, non-professional
programmers, rich and/or famous ivory tower kinds and USENET trolls (which
I think is currently the case).

It's good to see Linus and Larry Wall standing up and saying that
people should have the right to copyright their work and benefit
from it.

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2573456,00.html

I think the real benefits of open source are the elimination of
mediocre products with ridiculous price tags and in CS education.

	-Arun