Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 18:24:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <oliver.fromme@secnetix.de>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com (Terry Lambert)
Subject:   Re: USB "Memorybird" quirks

Terry Lambert wrote:
 > "Eugene M. Kim" wrote:
 > > This is a common problem of most umass devices that implements BBB
 > > protocol, and arises from the fact that those devices don't understand
 > > the 6-byte SCSI READ command.  You can add a quirk entry to
 > > src/sys/cam/scsi_da.c (refer to quirk entries that have DA_Q_NO_6_BYTE).
 > >
 > > IIRC this problem is being addressed at a more fundamental level on
 > > -current, by adding a 6-byte-to-10-byte READ command translator
 > > somewhere in the abstraction layer.
 >
 > Could this be "auto-quirked"?
 >
 > It seems to me that you should be able to add the quirk flag
 > to the device instance after the first failure...

That's what I thought, too.

It seems to me that umass_scsi_transform() in umass.c is
the place intended for this kind of things.  After the
first failure (which is detected in umass_bbb_state()),
a flag (quirk) should be set in the softc, and afterwards
umass_scsi_transform should translate 6-byte commands to
10-byte commands.  Doesn't sound too complicated to me.

Or am I totally wrong?

Regards
Oliver