Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 18:19:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/printcap for Deskjet 500 and gs

>  * 	Yep, because dvips needs TeX to create the required fonts I
>  * think... That's why the TeX package (web2c) that FreeBSD uses for the
>  * port doesn't work well with dvips in creating the fonts while teTeX works
>  * fine...
>
> Hmm.  If you say so....

I seriously doubt it. I'm working my way through 1600 mail messages here
so I've missed what this is about... apsfilter??

What's the problem you're seeing with the FreeBSD port of TeX?

>  * 	    As for xfig, you need both though I don't know what xfig is used
>  * for....
>
> This one, I'm still not convinced.  But that's ok, we'll see. :)

I'm not convinced about either. TeX does *not* create fonts for dvips.
If there are missing fonts dvips fires off the MakeTeXPK script that
calls mf not TeX.

Incidentally, since we're talking about TeX and it's friends I have a few
queries. First, what happened to the directory searching functions that
we had in 1.1.5? The kpathsea stuff doesn't seem to search subdirectories
like I thought it should.

Also, the MakeTeXPK fails under certain circumstances because mf
creates fonts with the name of jobname.<number>gf where <number> depends
on the resolution and magnification of the font. In the MakeTeXPK script,
$GFNAME is set to $NAME.$DPI'gf and $DPI does not alwats map to the
<number> that mf generates, depending on the magnification used.

The result is that quite often you'll get "Metafont failed for some reason on"
errors because the script is looking for the wrong filename. Does anyone
know how to fix this or who to report it to?

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/