Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:16:26 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HDD led stops working after FreeBSD...?

David Kelly wrote:

> Mark Ovens writes:
> > On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 10:13:25PM +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> > > hello,
> > > I have installed freebsd on a pII-350 which is on intel
> > > T440BX board the board has on board ultra wide scsi adapter
> > > 53c875 on itself
> > > after freebsd detects it, the hard drive led stops working
> > > even if I write and read from the disk, it does not blink
> > > what can the problem may be?
> >
> > I have a Diamond Fireport 40 which also uses the 53c875 chipset
> > and that has the same problem. IIRC it is a known problem/limitation
> > with the ncr0 driver. My HD, IBM UltraStar has an LED connector so
> > I use that.
>
> As I comphrend the problem as dedcribed to me, the fear is that some use
> the same I/O bits generically to control things such as FLASH memory,
> while others use the same bit to flash (ugh!, an awful pun I didn't
> notice at first) the LED. So FreeBSD takes the only available common
> ground and does nothing.
>
> You could add this line to your kernel config and probably get your
> flashing LED back. Works for the Asus SC875. Have heard it makes a mess
> of the FLASH or EEPROM on a Tekram.
>
> options                SCSI_NCR_SYMBIOS_COMPAT
>
> Having tried this on my machine, the LED flashed so fast and was on so
> little that it wasn't any fun to watch. So I took the it out the next
> time I built a kernel.

Thanks for the explanation. When I asked on the list if the Diamond
cards were supported someone mentioned that the LED didn't work due to
a bug in the driver. Obviously not a bug but a sensible design
decision :-). I don't think I'll bother with the kernel option, I'll
leave the LED connected to the HD (gonna need another LED though as
I'm getting a 2nd HD soon, /usr will have 4.5GB all to itself :-) )