Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:34:48 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Flitmann <dflit@nns.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xeon box hanging, top shows "FFS_node". FFS problem?

Hi there!

We've got a "fast" computer for our database
(Intel SC450NX, 2xXeon/500MHz,
1G RAM, SymBios U2W SCSI onboard,
2xPCI, 3x18G Seagate Cheetah,
OS - FreeBSD 3.2-R).

At first, we had to patch NCR driver - then it worked fine for some time.

When we started to load our new server with data (1 process creating about 50
small files in a second), a strange effect appears - system ~hangs,
it does not create any new processes anymore.
When we have "top" running at that moment, we can see that main process
(which creates files) has state "FFS_node".

Our first idea was that the problem is in a patched ncr driver, so we
have replaced SymBios with Adaptec 2940U2W, but effect persists.

CPU load is not very high, there are not a lot of processes,
and no one keeps a lot of files open simultaneously.

Is it a problem in FFS implementation?
Or, maybe, some kernel option can help?

sorry for poor English.

Sincerely,
Dmitry Flitman
National News Service/National Electronic Library.